Tuesday, October 02, 2007

KL trip – Part II: The fake Pilates

I felt really guilty after pigging out on the previous night, so I headed straight to the hotel gym when our meeting ended early. The equipments there had reasonable variety and were well-maintained (after all it was in a 5-star hotel!). I trained my legs (which I am too lazy to train on normal days) and did a lot of stretching in the empty studio. Me and my colleague, L, was rather excited to know that there was a Pilates class happening at 6-7pm, the timing was just nice for us to lengthened ourselves before heading out for dinner (to pig out yet again)!

Unfortunately, both of us were horrified by what the instructor taught in the supposedly-Pilates class. We could not figure out what she was trying to teach in the first 5 minutes. It was NOT Pilates for sure, it was not yoga also. It was more like aerobic-styled yoga-wannabe.

Enough was enough, after the instructor finished her version of “Hundreds”, me and L exchanged glances and decided to leave the class! We could not tolerate anymore non-sense from the instructor that could potentially injure ourselves.

According to other club members, she was apparently an acclaimed instructor and her Pilates class was rather popular (it was full-house, by the way). I feel really sad, as the people who attended her class sacrifice their time and money, hoping to stay fit, yet they were “cheated” into fake Pilates which might injured them.

This make me ever more determined to let more people know what is real Pilates. I hope that the Pilates community (both instructors and practicioners) here can help people around them to be more aware about Pilates.

No comments: