Thursday, January 24, 2008

Take a Break, for the better

There were loads of distraction happening end of last year that had quite disrupted my focus on Pilates. I stopped training myself, cut down teaching and also paused P-latte blogging. I was such a bad bad bad girl...

During this period of time I had a well deserved break when I went back HK for a big family reunion. So now I feel recharged and I have so much to blog about. I believe that it is important to have a break as and when needed, no matter what you are dealing with. In fact one of the most important diet tip I gave to my friends and clients who wanted to lose weight was to take a break from their strict diet, and

"eat your favourite chocolate cake or indulge in something sinful, once a week."

Of course after the indulgence you have to work a bit harder to take those calories off. Some dieters are totally put off by this idea. But most often than not, these are also the dieters who would fail to achieve their diet goals. Many of them are so angry with themselves when they eventually succumb to temptation that they gave up dieting altogether, thinking that they are not fated to succeed in their weight-loss program.

The real logic is, it is easier to stay away from a piece of yummy cheese cake continuously over just a week, than to stay "deprived" over an extended period of time. It is like a marathon runner "strategies" his race by setting various milestones (say every 5km), then conquering them one at a time, before finally crossing the finishing line at the 42km mark. It is really a tough mental game to stay away from tons of diet temptation in our modern living, it's probably wise to recharge your mental power once a week by rewarding yourself with few pieces of beautiful chocolate praline, so that you can win the lifelong challenge of smart-eating.

This is my diet strategy, what's yours?




No comments: