Thursday, September 06, 2007

Resume Running!

I have stopped running/training after the 2006 marathon (shamefully that was more than 8 months ago), and I had hardly been active since then. I was too overwhelmed with both the demand of my new job and the super hectic wedding preparation. There was not any moment that my mind could completely calm down for more than 3 minutes, so practicing Pilates in my noisy home was quite impossible.

After months of disuse, my muscles are extremely weak. Resuming running is never easy, and frankly I hate to feel my heavy feet dragging on the ground, while my whole upper body struggled to keep itself upright. I decided to take it slow to build back my fitness, so I allowed myself to walk as and when I needed to during the first few slow jog sessions. Afterall exercise and training should be enjoyable, never torturous.

During the first few slow jog sessions, I ignored how far or how fast I had run but focused only on my own body. I made sure while I ran my tummy was engaged, my shoulders were properly organised, my neck stayed long and my chest was opened-wide. I also focused on breathing with my ribs to fully expand my lungs (which were so compressed by inactivity). It was tough to apply all these Pilates fundamentals to my weak moving body, but the hard work paid off. After just three re-conditioning runs (plus few short Pilates sessions at home), my muscle memory came back and I felt at ease running again. It was a wonderful feeling to know that I can actually run again!

Now I am more confident that I can complete the Triladies Triathlon on 23 Sept 07. It will be my "come-back" race since the OSIM tri July 06.

No comments: