Thursday, August 14, 2008

Stop Whining!! For Your Health.

I read an interesting article, "Hush girls, stop that angst-y chatter", on Mind Your Body section of the Strait Times today. It's really a great awakening for many of us, especially for my girl friends.

In a study published in the Journal of Developmental Psychology, pre-teen girls rather than boys, tend to rehash problems and focus on negative feelings. They developed close friendships with co-complainers, and ended up depressed and anxious, which led to more angst-y chatter - an endless cycle.

This actually reminds me of myself. I was definitely one of those girls who whined a lot about my problems with my close friends. Though feeling slightly better after all whining and even shedding some tears with my buddies, I constantly felt very hopeless and depressed, and my whole world seemed to crumble down. I was stuck in that kind of depression since I came to Singapore, and it lasted till last year. It definitely had a very negative impact to my school work, relationships and work life.

I was very fortunate to have met my husband, who was attracted to my seemingly bubbly and sunshine external personality, but at the same time never gave up on my dark, depressive inner self.

Ed always tells me to think positively, but it was difficult for me as I am so stuck in the angst-y chatter and the anxious mood. One day he showed me a great video called The Secret/ Law of Attraction. At the same time, a comedy/romantic Korean TV series "Coffee Prince Shop No.1" was on air and got me totally hooked. These helped me realise life would be so much happier and easier if I focus on the positive side of things. It was a great awakening for me and finally I managed to get out of the vicious cycle. So I cut down my angst-y chatter (can't really stop it all at once) and stop my Xanga blog that was filled with complains. And true enough, life start to appear much brighter!


So to all my dear friends, like what the ST article says, "In general, talking is healthy. However, co-rumination represents too much of a good thing." So let's cut that short ok ^_^

No comments: