Friday, August 15, 2008

What a small World

Good thing about Pilates lovers is that, most of us are very friendly people.

Attended mentoring session today, and met other instructor like Michelle. After we introduced ourselves, she said, "Oh, are you the Teresa who wrote a Pilates blog?"

Heehee, yes I am. It is very encouraging that I am kind of identified by my blog. I didn't know I am "that" famous!!!!!! ;-p It's very nice to know people are reading what I write. But Michelle could not recognise me from the photos(which were taken last year), I guess I have expanded so much in past 5 months (see photo below, please pardon my obscene bulgy bra line!) that I am now beyond recognition.

Like what Michelle said, it's such a small world! We realised we both came from PICT training previously and we worked for FHI before. And she was very right, once you like Pilates, there is so much to talk about!

Anyway, today's mentoring session focused on Fitness Screening. We revisited the use of some of the screening exercise and various watch points. I was so delighted to find that my "Long Sit" has improved tremendously. Not only I could sit with legs straight, I could even flex my hip slightly forward while maintaining a nice neutral pelvis. Seems like my hamstring muscles are really well lengthened now!

To be honest, this improvement in my hamstrings flexibility has nothing to do with training (as i have cut down physical activity till recently due to morning sickness). Rather it was due to the increased level of a hormone, relaxin, in my body which relaxes my ligaments around my joints.

Relaxin can do many things to the body:
  1. Relax the womb to make it easier to stretch and make room for the growing fetus.
  2. Loosen the birth canal (especially the space betwen pubis, cervix and pelvic muscles) so that the baby can pass through.
  3. Increase mom-to-be's foot size.
  4. Loosen ligaments around joints, which increases joint laxity. This may lead to a higher risk of strains or sprains. Thus pregnant women has to be extra cautious and need to avoid over stretching their joints (especially thru ballistic stretch).
  5. Causing back pain and sacroilliac joint (SI) pain (see my earlier post).
Now I continue to enjoy the feeling of being "flexible" while it last, but I gotta train hard to keep the flexibility after the pregnancy.

No comments: